Friday, March 6, 2015

Wile E. Canis latrans

And what do we have here?












Uh huh, like I can't see you out there...













                                                                               Now the fun part, trying to keep him off the runway.












.... I did say "try" right?
Of course what you do not see is me getting permission to cross the runway and then getting set up with the pyrotechnics. Welcome to the wonderful world of wildlife management on an airport!
My tactic for dealing with coyotes has evolved since my first encounters. Back then there was this huge adrenaline filled rush to get that coyote off the runway, which often resulted in chasing the darn thing all over the airport which in turn sent it across the runway(s) multiple times. This was no good. So then I started to apply some logic to the problem. Coyotes are members of the family Canidae and one of the traits of that family is exceptional hearing. We use pyrotechnic abatement rounds fired from what is for intense purposes -- a starter pistol and those rounds make either a loud "bang" or a loud "whistle" that ends with a lesser "bang" to scare birds. My tactic is actually quite simple, I turn the coyote's acute hearing against it and drive it away from the runway I am protecting. This one I stumbled upon a little late in the game, as he was already practically on the runway before I could get in position, but in the end I was successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment