Sunday, May 22, 2016

Cassin Quite a Ruckus

So the first thing I notice other than the vocalizations of kingbirds in the area, is this Red-tailed Hawk being harassed by some smaller bird. I thought maybe it was a Northern Mockingbird, however after review of the photos I see that it is indeed not a mockingbird. It is instead being tormented by kingbird -- quite a bit of pluck for bird that's considerably smaller than the hawk! What would motivate such a persistent attack? A near-by nest? Probably.
I went on about my business until the chatter from these kingbirds piqued my curiosity. It was then that I noticed the parental activity -- back and forth, to and from and light pole on the ramp next to me. I cruised over to investigate further and guess what I discover? Sure enough two adult Cassin's Kingbirds (Tyrannus vociferans) are feeding one, possibly two chicks.




No comments:

Post a Comment